Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Spectacular Tuesdays!!

All right, so I got myself a copy of a book because it had a pretty cover. I will admit that I am totally a sucker for that kind if thing. often times I don't even know what the book is about until I get home. Such was the case with this book called "Incarceron". Silly silly me, I didn't realize that the book was a young adult book.

That however, did not matter as I could not put it down. Let me give you the premise really quickly. Incarceron is the name of a prison, in which many people struggle to survive. The vast prison, made of metal and cutting-edge technology, had a secret however and a fabulous secret at that. It was designed as a grand experiment: all undesirables would be sealed inside and given everything for a model utopia. But the experiment failed as Incarceron grew self-aware and tyrannical, resources dwindled, and prisoners divided into factions.

Centuries passed and soon the prisoners existed under Incarceron’s watchful eyes with a single belief to hold onto: no one from Outside enters, no one from Inside escapes. Finn, a young boy from the Inside, believes he is really from Outside, and after he finds a crystal key that is able to open any door, he embarks on a journey to escape. Outside of Incarceron, Claudia, who is the daughter of Incarceron's Warden, is also looking for escape, from an arranged marriage and from her role in a scheme to end Protocol, an archaic set of laws which forces everyone to live according to seventeenth-century norms, even if they are more advanced. When she also finds a crystal key, she comes into communication with Finn.

It is here that i will end with the synopsis. I don't want to spoil the fun of this book, but it is a fantastic read. I'll be honest, I picked it up because i thought that it had a pretty cover. Instead I discovered the vast world that was within the book. It was a little slow in the beginning, but then, the prison is a perpetual threat and actually becomes a character in the storyline between Finn and Claudia. Even though both of them are trapped in their own perspective prisons of life, Incarceron itself becomes a character whose own problems become the other character's problems as well.

When I got to the end of the book, I was shocked by the ending. I also realized that the story had been left open and it was in fact preparing for a sequel. Imagine my happiness when I discovered (much to my happiness, that there was in fact a second book in the works! This here is the book that I am speaking of.

I talk too much. Check it out.

No comments: