Monday, October 18, 2010

A Literary Book Snub?

So once again, I am late with the news. I swear, sometimes I am not as tapped in as I normally am. On the 14th of October, the Associated Press wrote an article about the face that Johnathan Franzen's novel did not get added to the National Book Awards finalists. The article is here.

Nine years ago, Franzen was awarded for his novel "The Corrections", however, this book, "Freedom", which was considered one of the most anticipated books of the year was not even considered. The book was so lauded it was picked up by Oprah's book club, and as everyone knows, anytime Oprah picks a book, it becomes Literary Gold. Because of this, the Award Comittee is being questioned as to what makes a great book, along with other authors who were also "snubbed".

Anyones guess is what will happen next. Either way, I can't wait till November when they tell us who wins.

No comments: