Saturday, January 6, 2007

The Finish of Oracle's Chapter 2

I hope that this story has not lost you as of yet, or that it seems too prevaricated. I would thougroughly enjoy any comments that you might have on the story.If you see anythign that seems out of place, then by all means, feel free to comment on it. Her eis the next part that I have written:

“Did Master Luc say anything else other than what to tell us?” Lyzanor lifted an eyebrow as Jerrak looked thoughtful for a minute. Jerrak shook his head. “No, nothing else. He just said that you would help us.”

The voice came from the bed, a soft and melodious voice. “It’s not everyday that you meet a ‘stranger far from home…’” Lyzanor continued to drink his wine, ignoring the voice all together. Jerrak shifted his gaze to the covered bed, curious.

“What brought you here to Catterinia’s? It’s not unusual to find half-breeds like myself, but you’re cesilliƶa, a pure elf.” Telarai smiled at Jerrak’s question.

“I have often thought of that myself… I don’t know why I am here sometimes. Other times, I am all to sure I know why.” He turned his gaze to Jerrak and then looked at Lyzanor. He had just finished the ‘faie wine and noticed Telarai’s gaze on him.

“How old would you say I am Lyzanor?”

Lyzanor shrugged his shoulders. “I wouldn’t know. Don’t you have longer life-spans than the rest of us?”

Telarai nodded. “Indeed we do, for I am indeed very old. I used to work for Catterinia’s grandmother.”

Lyzanor’s mouth dropped at this.

“My brother was here as well, and yet we both still appear as young as we do. My brother is younger than me by about thirty years. Is this a surprise to all of you?”

Lyzanor shook his head up and down in sheer dumb amazement. Jerrak shook his head no. “Why should I be surprised at all?”

Telarai smiled vaguely.

“When we first came here, we had come due to extenuating circumstances. We did not want to come here, but it seemed the most appropriate place. When we got here, we were young; by our standards, we are still very young. We have quite a bit more time left… however; there is still the fact that we knew nobody. As we knew of this city, only because of what it was, being so close out of the mountains, that was all we knew. Well, when we got into the city, we had never seen such ever before.

“The moment we stepped inside the city, we were overwhelmed by everything, including the entry gate. It was after all, rather grand. We were used to not having any boundaries. After all, what was the need for walls if no one could find you in the first place? After only a little time here in the entire place, we lost our purse. We had been pick-pocketed.

“After some time, we found our way to this street. Here, Catterinia’s predecessor, Stazia, took us in. She didn’t require anything from us at first. She said that it wasn’t our faults…” At this, Telarai stopped for a moment and bit back his words. He wiped a corner of his eyes and Auraia came over and held his hand. Together, they were a striking pair. Now that Lyzanor knew that they were both male, he saw nothing but a strange sort of blandness in the beauty that they possessed. However, they did look a lot like each other.

Jerrak saw however, the beauty in both of them which Lyzanor could not see. The curves of each, the stillness; everything like a still life portrait. Jerrak shook his head, refusing to listen to his inner voice. He tried to listen again as Telarai continued.

“I don’t know how it started, but one day, Stazia came up to me and asked me if I would work for her. At the time that she was keeping us both inside the house, I was keeping it up so that we were not just acting like parasites on her hospitality. She and all the boys inside the house insisted that I needn’t do it, but I felt like I had to do something to repay their hospitality. So, I help around; I kept the place looking nice and helped the boys get whatever they needed. I had become like the houses keeper.

“Stazia of course did not mind. However, some of the more frequent visitors had seen me sometimes; I tried to keep out of sight a whole lot. It obviously didn’t work, because some of the regulars accused Stazia of holding back. She was worried for me you know. She didn’t know what to do, so she asked me to work for her in hopes that I would be able to stop her customer’s accusations…

“I’ve been working here ever since. Then one day, a stranger walked into the door. It was Master Luc. We didn’t know what he had come for, but when he saw me, he instantly asked me if I was a stranger far from home. I immediately said yes not knowing what it was that he had meant at the time. He had then shoved out both of his palms and showed me the crescent moons that were tattooed there. I wasn’t sure what it was that he wanted. I thought he had meant in reality.

“After that our life changed. Auraia and I talked to him for a while and then we too became a part of the network of Strangers. We help people and they help us. That is what it is here for. I doubt that anyone else could possibly know about it here in the city. I believe that we are the only Strangers here in the city.”

At this, Telaria paused for a moment as if to reflect. Turning to Jerrak, he spoke in a commanding tone of voice. “Why is it that you need our help?”

“We were being followed and we were hoping that you could help get us out of the city, and fast.” Auraia thrust out his right hand on which were tattooed the twin crescents. They had been tattooed in a silver color, the same as his own. However, his had been marred by a cut he had suffered on his hand.

“Do you know what this means?” Auraia continued to hold out his hand. “It means that we will always be here, no matter what and the other Stranger will always help us; but it is also an obligation.”

Telarai cut him off almost immediately. “Don’t speak of it as such tella mia (my dear), we are not supposed to look at it like that…” At that moment, there was a knock at the door. Auraia looked at the door and then turned to Telarai almost instantly with a look on his face. After a second knock, he bounded back to the bed and hid amongst the silk that streamed down from the canopy. Telarai went to the door and then opened it slightly.

A boy burst in. “Melody! Oh my god, this is so bad, you have to come and see this…” He turned for a moment and looked at the two men sitting on the couch. A look of pure panic crossed his face. “Oh Melody, Melody,” his voice was a moan. “They are still here! Oh God, that makes it even worse. Oh Goddess!”

The boy, who was obviously no more than seventeen summers, had brown hair that seemed down in front of his eyes like a thick carpet over his eyes. His darkened and tanned skin was a sudden contrast to Melody’s light skin. Telarai put out a hand and placed it on the boy’s shoulder. The boy was about the same height and Telarai out his other hand over the boy’s lips, pressing a single index finger to it.

“Shhh. Now tell me from the beginning what is going on.” The boy tried several starts until he finally just gave up. “You have to go see for yourself in the front hall, but for heaven’s sakes, don’t let yourself be seen!”

“You worry too much about me Sammel. I will be careful though, go back to your room and I will take care of this.” The boy, Sammel, nodded and then glumly began to leave, but before he left, he place a hand on Telarai’s cheek and spoke some soft words that he meant for no one else to hear. Telarai nodded and then spoke back in Sulinin. The boy nodded and then smiled. “I hope I will be able to live up to your expectations Telarai.” He spoke the name without an accent. This surprised Jerrak. Lyzanor however was a different story.

He had drunk too much ‘faie wine and now he was so drunk that his eyes were glazed over. He wasn’t very concerned or for that matter aware of his surroundings. Now, he was going through a pleasant buzz that kept him from reality at the moment. Jerrak poked him and nothing happened, which made him disgusted. Lyzanor couldn’t even feel if someone had touched him or not. That was the dangers of too much ‘faie wine though.

Telarai turned around and motioned for Jerrak to follow him. “My brother will take care of Nor. He’s a little bit too drunk, but I’ll need someone with me.” Jerrak nodded immediately and then cursed himself for doing so. Why did he have to go? He stood up from the couch and then moved with Telarai out the door. Sammel led them down the corridor and then paused for a moment in front of a landing.

“Stay low and listen here. I hope it all turns out alright.”

Telarai nodded and then shooed the boy off.

As Jerrak sat behind a tall plant on the landing, he could see several med dressed in regimentals of the city guard. They each had a broad sword strapped to their belts as well as the city’s golden sun emblazoned on their armor upon their chest. Catterinia was all smiles. It appeared as if she had just come in.

“Well what can I do for you folks?”

The guard in the front, a tall black haired man who had only a goatee shook his head vigorously. “Sorry Catterinia, we are here on business this time.”

“Well aren’t you always here on business, Captain Y’tell?” Catterinia’s inquiry was made from what appeared to be a truly curious look. The captain shook his head.

“Tonight is different ma’am. We are here to see Melody.” Telarai took in a deep intake of breath through clenched teeth as he was mentioned by name. Jerrak shook his head and made a motion for him to be quiet. “You don’t understand,” hissed Telarai. “It’s not you that they are after!” Jerrak shook it off and said, “Listen, will you!”

They both turned their attention to the door. Catterinia had put her hands on her hips and was giving them a mischievous look. “My, aren’t we goin’ high up tonight. And what would you want with my little Melody?”

“I’m sorry Catterinia ma’am, but he is to be arrested for treasonous acts against the crown of Nalmia.”

Catterinia blanched for a moment and then looked at the guards with serious eyes. “What do you mean ‘treasonous acts’?”

“He is to be questioned and sent to Maruch. I am sorry ma’am.”

“I don’t believe this… and to think that I let him go today!”

Jerrak took a sudden breath and turned to the boy next to him. Telarai simply closed his eyes, a semi-relieved look upon his face.

“What? What do you mean you let him go today?”

“I mean just that! I let his go on towards Luxin. He wanted a trip, and as you know, he has been working here ever so long, he’s never asked for a break ever and he has enough money to go anywhere by now and he just looked so happy when I told him that it was his right to go anywhere he wanted and oh…” Catterinia just continued on until Y’tell put a hand up.

“That is quite enough ma’am, thank you. Do you remember what time he left?”

Catterinia placed a hand on her hip and a thoughtful hand to her jaw, “I believe that he left sometime around the midday… yea, a little before midday. He wanted to get a start and reach a town… I can’t remember the name of it now, but I’m sure it will come to me.” She smiled at the guard for a moment and then nodded her head. “I just wish you had come earlier. I would have kept him behind… oh, it’s just too much.”

Catterinia lifted a hand to her face, as if to brush away tears. Jerrak looked to Telarai who had a smile upon his face as he was watching he spectacle. He nodded his head once as if to confirm what she was saying. Suddenly, Catterinia burst into muffled sobs. “He was our finest too!” The captain looked back to the other men who were with him, and a few of them shrugged. One or two of them looked uncomfortable. Y’tell put out a hand to try to comfort Catterinia and her sobbing became worse.

It was all Telarai could do to keep from laughing. “Let’s go back to the room. We have some things to do before we can leave.” Jerrak nodded in agreement.

No comments: