Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Brick and Mortar

Books are becoming a precarious thing. I have not as of yet gone over to the "dark Side" as some of my friends are calling it and gone to Amazon and bouight a Kindle (though I will say I wouldn't mind owning one...), however, I do have the iPad. That is not neccesarrily the same thin in this new "Digi-volution" of books. More and more people are now joinging the movement that is known as the Digital E-reader. Kindle, Kobo, Nook, you name it and the company proboly has one. It is getting cheeper to buy books and keep them in digital libraries that are easier to keep track of than an actual bookshelf of books (easier to cary too).

I have a rather extensive book library myself; over 17 thousand books as I like to say. I have probobly in my lifetime, read more than that by at least double the number thanks to local and school libraries. However, I now have noticed that even I have calmed down on what my parents and friends used to call "deranged sprees of cathartic spending on books". Instead of going to the bookstores and spending hours in tehre rummaging over books and buying anywhere from a hundred to a thousand (and in one unlucky case $4,376; I kept the receipt. I'm proud of it...) on books. In the last month alone, I have spent less that fifty dollars on new books. Instead, I have found something that makes it worth my dollar: the digital e-book and the free audio book.

Many of you have heard my case for and against the audio book. Not much has changed on that I fear. However, my stance on the digital book, the eBook, is much different. I applaud the idea to allow people to read on the go, without the encumberance that a hardback or paperback book, however many pounds they may weigh, my cause someone hand strain or back pain. That sounds a little harsh, but it is true. More people are reading thanks to the digital revolution than were previously. Read on I say.

Ther eis one other price to pay however. In the neverending duel that is the Brick and Mortar stores, mainly Barnes & Nobel and Borders, they are having some problems. I point you now in teh dirrection of a news article from this monday and allow you to read what I am reading as well. Tell me what you think...

News Article: Borders and B&N

No comments: