Thursday, January 13, 2011

New Writers are Schlock?

British writer Edward Docx has recently in the pages of the Guardian, blasted literature. Wait, I must be a little clearer. Literature was fine, it was the genre fiction that he was unhappy about. To be specific, it was actually a blast on the fact that there was a lot of people reading it. The fact that everyone seemed to love reading it too was apparently shocking and also a little unnerving to him as well. To put it exactly as he said it, and I quote:

"I realise we are sailing into choppy waters here. With Larsson now dead and so decent a chap, how dare I go up on deck and start explaining – amid the storms of publicity and howl of Hollywood and the relentless sluicing of the sales – that his work is not very good even by the standards of his genre?"

Not only does Docx say that Larson is not particularly good, he also states that Dan Brown is the same way. To read the rest of the article, please refer to the following link here.

To add more fuel to this fire, there are a few other people who are in the same boat and have similar views and even discuss as to why it is that these novels seem to be so popular. For example, Laura Miller wrote on why we love horribly written novels. The link for that would be here.

I would weigh in more, but I sadly must head towards my bed. Good night all.

No comments: